Sunday, March 7, 2010

More baseball and a Hike in the Rain....


Last Friday we decided to go to another baseball game...hey, they're only $6! So we went to an afternoon game at 3:30. Unfortunately, there was this really weird weather pattern....rain. Ha ha ha! We ended up moving into the upperdeck where the roof covered us. It raining on and off so they didn't call the game. U of H played Citadel and ended up losing something like 9 to 5. This time we split a hot dog and one order of fries, a few peanuts, and only had one beer. Much better. Last time we ate too much and felt yucky. The game was a double header (two games for $6?!), but we only stayed for the first since we work on Sat.

Sunday, we decided to go on another hike. This hike was a couple smaller trails strung together. First, the Makiki loop trail- 3 miles, then the Ualakaa loop- another mile. The elevation gain was probably about 1000 feet, not bad. It started at this nature center that we didn't know existed. It was back in a valley kind of near where some of our other trails have been (mainly the Manoa trail). It was lush and beautiful. Brian and I had minimal directional arguments which was good. We ususally disagree on the interpretation of the directions. Directions are soooo bad here. And he was right this time (darn). This is a picture of people doing some sort of martial art stick fighting at a park (at 8 am on a Sunday) on the way to the trail.

The trail was very well marked. I was feeling a bit ridiculous because there were a lot of people on the trail and they didn't have anything with them and we had backpacks and I had on my fanny pack with my camera. We are always like this while hiking. We have all this stuff and everyone else has nothing. We have extra water, food, rain gear, bug spray, first aid kit, cameras, extra socks, even toilet paper. We even got lapped by a 50 year old trail runner. Although it didn't last long (my embarrassment) because then we watched this asian lady with her big visor (completely overcast and in the shady woods) beating her arms on a tree for exercise. And then after that.....it started to rain. Well, we weren't going to turn back because this was such an easy well marked trail and it wasn't raining hard. There were lots of people out (not like our usual hikes) and this wasn't a ridge, just a trek through the woods. Well, I wanted to keep my baby dry (my expensive camera) so I put on my rain jacket and stretched it over my fanny pack. Brian puts his jacket on too and looks at me and says...you look pregnant. I started laughing and we walked on. But now, Everyone was super nice to me! Everyone would say hi and move out of the way for me and let me go first. It was kind of nice. Brian's saying, "Great, everyone is looking at me like I'm making my pregnant girlfriend hike in the rain!" It was really funny! But I wasn't about to let my camera out. So we didn't get a lot of pictures or video. During the hike it was strange because I was moving faster than Brian. Usually, I'm trying to keep up and calling break time.

That night, we finally went to Haleiwa Joe's (in Kaneohe) and Brian got his prime rib. He's been wanting to try it for awhile. They run out so we had to reserve it. It was expensive, but good. It took up nearly his whole plate. It was very tender. I had the Opah (light white fish) with coconut curry and pineapple salsa (my favorite there).

We got home and that night Brian started having a very sore throat and fever. He couldn't sleep and ended up moving into the spare room so I could sleep. From there he has been getting worse and worse. He's been sleeping in the other room so his coughing won't keep me up and to try to keep me from getting this. This is the worst he's been since we had our disease after we got back from our Hawaiian scouting trip and when we had the "Mexican Sars" after we got back from Mexico 7 years ago.

No comments: