Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rainy Day

We've had some Kona weather this week...which means rain, vog, and muggy weather. We went to baseball last night followed by a karyoke bar for a bit. It was fun. I especially liked the big Somoan guy singing "Sailing"...funny....

They give you Kim Chee as your free bar snacks....(spicy pickled garlicky Korean cabbage). Brian tried to order the most interesting thing on the menu...."peanuts and beef jerky". We were told that beef jerky was out of season.....

We watched the Hurt Locker the other day...movie with a message. We also tried to get Mother's Day cards at Target. But there were barely any cards left....there were only 2 grandma cards! And one was super religious. So today, its raining so I will try again by driving to the mall to find a Hallmark.

Another note is that on Monday, I snorkeled in Lagoon 2 with a turtle. Oops! I think I just "buried the lead". It was amazing! Aparently, turtles come into lagoon 2 all the time. We used to always go to number one because its closer and bigger. But now that there is lots of construction on the Disney hotel on lagoon one, we started to go to number 2 to avoid the noise. I snorkeled for about 20 min about 10 feet from it. He (or she) would look at me, and then go back to eating the plants on the rocks. You could hear him crunching on the rock. Then I realized that it was "Lucky"...I had heard that there was a turtle that swam around Ko Olina that was missing one back leg. And my turtle was missing a back leg. I am definately taking people to lagoon 2 to snorkel with the turtle. Its in shallow water with no waves, about 10 feet deep.

Another first this week was that DeDe brought in breadfruit. She steamed it and it was sooo good. She made it in honor of my new pillow I'm working on...breadfruit pattern. It is like a combination of squash and potato. She taught me to put butter and syrup on it and it tastes like pancakes. But if you put butter and sour cream it tastes like potatoes. We have two breadfruit trees in coconut plantation and I'm going to try to pick some....I don't think many people around here know what to do with breadfruit. But now that I can just steam it in my rice cooker for 25 min....I'm going to make it from time to time.

Signing off...need breakfast. I keep having typos because I'm hungry!

No comments: