Monday, May 17, 2010

Last baseball game

We had another stressful week of dentistry....somehow we made it! Friday we went back to the beach we liked last week...Lahi Lahi beach. The wind was lighter so we got our tent up easily and spent a good 5 hours at the beach....reading, listening to music, and swimming. I also went snorkeling again. I was wandering around looking for fish and turtles and one swam right up near me! He (or she) was a pretty big Hawaiian green turtle (the main turtle around here). I stayed about 10 feet away and he ate away and didn't swim away. Then he decided to get some air so he floated up to the surface and I came up too. It was funny, he looked at me over the water and blinked...and I looked at him. Then he went down into the water and stared at me. Then, more air and more staring at me and blinking and then more staring at me in the water. This went on 3 or 4 times before he went back to eating. It was really cool!

I forgot that my swim shirt leaves a two inch gap before my bathing suit bottoms if I'm swimming around and I laid in the sun on my stomach for 20 minutes and so I burned my back. It only takes 20 min here for a burn....even if you go to the beach once a week!

We went to the last baseball game of the season today. It was fun. We had some friends that were supposed to come too, but they didn't show. So we just enjoyed our hot dogs, beers and peanuts without them. It was a beautiful day....low 80s and nice breeze and we were in the shade. Also, Brian saved me during the game. I leaned back in my seat and my hair got stuck between the back of the seat and the shoes of the person sitting behind me. I couldn't move my head and I was starting to panic. I whispered to Brian...."My hair's stuck on this guys feet! Gross!" My genius did the classic arm stretch to place his arm around my shoulders and then somehow applied pressure to my hair half way down (so it wouldn't hurt) and pulled it from the grasp of the yucky shoes and feet! My hero! Unfortunately, the "bows" (Rainbows) lost 10-7.

Big day tomorrow! Its the day we have been waiting for.....the market is opening! We have watched the construction outside our condos since we moved here. It has been agonizingly slow! The most anticipated arrival for us is the mini mart. It opens tomorrow and is open from 6:30am to 11pm, 7 days a week! That is unheard of here. Its hard to find a restaurant or store open past 9pm. It is supposed to have the basics including wine and some deli items. We will check it out. It will obviously be overpriced. But now, we won't have to drive to Kapolei if we are having a diet coke emergency. We're also hoping for some good beers, poke (hawaiian dish with raw tuna, soy sauce, and green onions) and ice. We have the worlds slowest ice maker in the world.

Also, saw the movie, "The Cove" this weekend. I highly recommend it. Its sad, but important to know about. Its about dolphin hunting in Japan. I'm recruiting Erin to help me get everyone to watch the movie. Then we can, you know, save the world or something.

Signing off!

No comments: