Friday, May 15, 2009

Halau's 20 year celebration

So, last Sunday, we went to see my friend's hula performance. Her Halau (hula school) was celebrating its 20th anniversary. It was so amazing. The setting was beautiful and the dancing was very good. We had Hawaiian food...poi, rice, poke, lomi salmon, lau lau, kalua pig, chicken long rice and cake. It was good. After the show Dara (my friend) gave me her leis and haku (lei worn around head). It was so nice! I was telling her at work on tues how much I loved the leis and she offered to teach me how to weave them. The one I wanted to learn how to make is made of leaves. The type of leaves grow in our yard so I picked them on Weds morning and she taught all of us at work how to weave the leaves. It is actually really more challenging than I thought. I took mine apart and re did it several times. But I finished it and it was big enough to wrap around my bun, so I wore it yesterday to work. Everyone was very impressed. And I'm excited to practice and then learn to weave flowers into it. I will post a picture of it.

We have my friends, Karen and Jim, from dental school coming to stay with us for a week this week.....It will be fun. Today I hope we go to the beach. I want to do some snorkeling.

No comments: