Saturday, May 2, 2009

Great day at the beach

Yesterday, Brian and I went to Makaha Beach. Its one of our favorite spots.....and its only a 25 min drive. The beach was nearly empty. We got out there around 10ish and stayed until 4:30. Can you believe that we can sit in the Hawaiian sun for 6 hours without burning (of course lots of sunscreen)?! We've each tried a lot of brands and found the best ones for each of us. We grilled chicken on the beach on our propane grill. I went snorkling out there for the first time. The surf was non existant, so it was a good day for it. I was surprised at how clear it was. Nice clear water. It was about 10-20 feet deep where I was snorking. Saw some fish...at one point a huge school of over 100 fish was there. There were staring at me trying to figure out if I was going to eat them. Not a whole bunch of different kinds of fish though...mainly humuhumunukunukuapua'a (or hawaiian trigger fish). But I did see a grouper and a couple coronet fish. It was fun.

Today, Brian had the day off work and went to "prepare" pigs for a luau tomorrow. They are then putting them in the imu (underground oven). Just to give you an idea of his day...those pigs were alive this morning. For once, I'm glad I work on Sat's. I don't want to have any traumatic experiences that will keep me from eating ham or bacon. He's taking pictures and video. Anyway, I have to get ready to pick him up......

No comments: