Brian and I went on our worst date of all time on Friday. Well....other than the time we both got food poisoning at the Thai restaurant in Michigan 7 years ago. We decided to go to the Bishop museum which is the main museum in Hawaii. It it listed as the best museum in Honolulu and as having tons of Hawaiian artifacts. We get in the car to go and realize its been 7000 miles since Brian's last oil change and that the coolant light is on. So we go to get an oil change and it takes an hour. Then I realized I left the directions at home, luckily we had the GPS. We followed the GPS directions and it took us to a hotel in Waikiki instead of the museum...great! The parking attendant told us it happens all the time because there used to be a Bishop museum store by the hotel and that we have to get back to the highway and go back 5 miles to the museum. This is a lot easier than it sounds. We finally get to the museum at 1:50pm (we started our journey at 10:45am and the museum is 20 miles from our apartment). We go to the lava demo and tour the buildings....and it was interesting. But to be honest....the museum was disappointing. There wasn't much there and it most of it was in an old house that was so dusty that we were having allergy attacks. I thought they would have old surf boards, all sorts of pictures of hawaii before....a hula display...or how to make poi...or history of fishing in hawaii....they could have had lots of things. Unfortunately, they did not. Then we went to the planetarium show. It smelled like feet and I didn't want to put my head on the seats. Also because lice is common in Hawaii (creepy!). The show was at least 20 years old. Everything was really outdated and Brian fell asleep and it was only 35 minutes! On the way out of the museum I did hold a $360 Koa wood soup bowl. That was exciting. I figure I'll never hold another bowl that expensive in my life.
After the museum, we continued with our plan to go to this restaurant that is supposed to be fab. Its called the "Garlic restaurant" (buts its in japanese). It has all sorts of foods...american, italian, japanese but everything has garlic in it. People have told us how good it is. The restaurant is 5 miles from the museum. I voted for us to take the highway, Brian wanted to take the city streets. I did not voice my opinion strongly enough about how the city roads are terrible...because I've been stuck in them before. So we took Brian's route....it took us an hour to get to the restaurant! Then we couldn't find parking. We drove past the restaurant twice trying to find the parking lot and ended up parking across the street at a grocery store. We finally get in the door. The restaurant is adorable...mainly outdoor seating. Really cute. Its 6pm and we've beat the dinner rush. There were only 2 tables taken. The waiter comes up to us and asks us if we have a reservation. We say no. He says..."oh, we aren't taking any walk ins tonight until 8:30pm, we are booked". We just about died! We turned around and walked to the car and got in and said...lets go home! We are never leaving our Ko Olina bubble again!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment