Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wildfire

Yesterday, after work I had an appt to get a haircut. On my way there all these firetrucks starting going by into Waianae. I saw maybe 4 trucks. During my appointment I kept hearing more and more trucks. After my appointment, we went to look at a new bedroom set in Maili. Our bedroom set is good, but we don't love it and when Brian spotted a beautiful sleigh bed with matching dresser and mirror we were hooked. A nice military couple who is being transferred to S. Carolina owned it. We loved it, and on our way home we saw the fire. It was the side of the mountain. It was erie and beautiful at the same time. It was bright flames creaping up the side of one of the mountains in darkness since there aren't a lot of street lights or anything in that area. Today when I read the paper it said that over 200 acres burned and 14 firetrucks and 60 firemen were there fighting the fire before it was under control. Brian had seen helicopters earlier carrying big tarps full of water. Rather exciting. The fire was about 4 miles from here. Sounds close, but really it wasn't. It barely made the paper. I guess in the Waianae Valley, brush fires happen from time to time.

Today I came home from work to find a whole new bedroom set up. Brian had picked up a UHaul, picked up the bedroom set, brought it to the house, and with the help of the other couple...got it up to our room. It looks really nice. Its a nice dark wood. They had gotten it in North Carolina from a small family owned furniture store before it was bought up by Ashley. Brian's pretty tired. So I have to run to make dinner...very Hawaiian....spaghetti.

1 comment:

Gary said...

Sarah - love your stories! I also remember sudden fires. Glad it didn't get near you! Please e-mail me so I have your current address!!!

Love, Aunt JuJu