Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ahhh! Not another day in Paradise!

Work yesterday went well. I didn't end up seeing patients because we are waiting on malpractice insurance for me. But the office was very nice and I had a good time. I will write more on that later. Because that's not the real news of yesterday.

The real news is that Brian's basement flooded in Grand Rapids. What a disaster! The renters are upset and think their kids are getting asthma or something (after 36 hours of water). All the water removing companies are booked but one. There is still about 1 1/2 inches of water. We are going to pay an astronomical sum of money due to need to get the water out before the dry wall all needs to be replaced. We have no idea if this will keep occurring or where the water came from exactly. The renters think it came from 3 or 4 places. This is the ABSOLUTE worst time for this to happen to us, since Brian has run out of savings. We were up until 11pm last night trying to work out what to do, calling companies, researching, etc. Then Brian got up at 3am to start more calls and confirm more quotes.

Then in the middle of that, I got rejected for health insurance. So I have NO coverage right now. My job health insurance won't start until about Nov. There are only 2 companies that provide health insurance in Hawaii and the main one rejected me for my bout with dental school depression 3 years ago. So now, here I am, a doctor, after being in school for 20 years, unable to get insurance. I didn't qualify for Cobra either. Its not about the money, I would make it happen, I just can't get coverage. So, I will be providing oral health care, being exposed to God knows what and I have no insurance. Great! I have one more company I am trying, but they won't be able to start me even if I am approved for a few weeks. I spend time exercising, eating lots of healthy food, don't smoke, wear my sunscreen forcefield, I have taken no medications other than antibiotics for 2 years and haven't been in to the doctor in over a year. Still I am not healthy enough for Blue cross, Blue Shield.

After all this news, Brian and I worked out our frustration on the tennis court at 9pm last night. They have great lit courts and we did much better than when we played on Sat.

I will keep you all posted on our great flood and my lack of insurance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's very shady sounding that they won't insure you because of depression 3 years ago. That's generally a mild (cost wise) 'affliction' to have. Those jerks!

You must have failed the risk-o-meter. (from Along Came Polly)