Friday, February 5, 2010

New Projects..

Made it through another week at work. I had my patient yesterday that spends the entire time I work on her wiggling away from me. I keep asking her if she is in pain, or wants the chair adjusted. She always says no. Then she continues to shrink and wiggle away. Its hard to work on a moving target. Plus she has the cheek and tongue disorder so I'm fighting with that...I was exhausted. I also had a patient with demensia for a follow up on an extraction I did last week. Of course his daughter never told me or put on his chart that he has this problem. He said, "I didn't have a tooth out last week". I'm thinking...do we have the wrong chart? I remember seeing him last week....Then he says, "I was wondering why my gums hurt." He has a lot of extractions that need to be done, but I'm referring him to an oral surgeon because he accidently bit me twice during the exam. He forgets to stay open when my hands are in his mouth.

I finished up a denim pencil skirt on Monday and then made one in this nice black fabric that has a bit of stretch on Weds after work. My Weds skirt only took me two hours. It was easier because I used the same design as the denim one and the fabric is stretchy enough that I didn't need to install a zipper. Here is a picture of my shirt I made last week. Brian is going to help me take pictures of my other creations tonight (he's working today).

As I was reading my Coastal Living magazine on the beach last week....sorry snow bunnies....I had an idea. They listed all these recipes for tropical drinks. I realized that I only have a tropical drink when I'm at a Roy's (which isn't so often). How can I live in Hawaii and never enjoy a tropical treat. So I decided to start my new project. I would like to try a new tropical cocktail maybe every other weekend or so. To start my new project I had to begin with a Hawaiian classic.....The Mai Tai

So I picked up all my ingredients and tried not to gasp at the price since I will be using these items again in other drinks in the future and liquor doesn't go bad. I even picked up some drink umbrellas (called party parasols on the bag). I researched several recipes. I wanted to try the original recipe and also an alternative. I hate sour mix because it gives me instant heartburn so I avoided recipes with that. I measured all the ingredients in my measuring cup with ounces and placed my umbrella. I had stopped at two stores to pick everything up and spent 10 min assembling my drink. I sat down to enjoy my tropical treat....and it tasted terrible! So I added some more grenadine and lime juice and mixed it up...now not as bad, but still not great. However, I certainly was not going to turn it down after all this work. My second one was the other recipe tasted better, but I think that was because I already had one Mai Tai. After two Mai Tais, I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30. Luckily. Brian woke me up to watch our DVR'd Criminal Minds (what an exciting life I live). I then managed to stay awake until 11pm.

Here's to hoping my tropical drink project improves in the future....Here are my two Mai Tai's...

1. Dark and gold rum, Contriou, lime juice, ammaretto, grenadine





2. Dark and gold rum, Contriou, ammaretto, grenadine, grapefruit juice, orange juice




1 comment:

Derek N said...

ok that looks like a great drink.