Friday, February 19, 2010

The Black Pearl

Local big news is that the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean is docked across the marina from Ko Olina. They will be starting shooting the 4th movie here and on Kauai this summer. I haven't been able to see the boat from our side, but that's because I lost my glasses a few weeks ago. I am going to try to check it out tomorrow with my super zoom video camera. Or I could look some more for my glasses....okay, video camera it is. (I'm sure that my glasses are in some random purse somewhere).

We were supposed to go on our staycation in Honolulu this weekend, but Brian's back started acting up and he can barely move or even sit on the couch so we are chillaxing at home. His back started acting up on Thurs. Friday it was worse. So instead of our staycation, we have been at home. Brian was completely immobile on Friday, a bit better yesterday and today. Still not doing great though. This happens from time to time. About once per year.

This Weds we went to a new restaurant for lunch in Waianae (since we work so close to each other). Its a cafe and a farm...Kahumana Organic farm and cafe. It is in an old converted church in the Waianae valley back near the mountains. Old churches around here are small wooden structures, not with big steeples or anything. Anyway, it was so cute and so good. Most of the food is grown on the farm or on other local farms on the island. Even the cheese is locally made. There are only a few things on the menu and then there is a daily special. I had the chicken quesadilla, it came with a garden soup and side salad. The vegetables were so fresh and good. Even their salad dressing is homemade. Brian had a salad with fresh ahi (tuna) on it. It also had some local sheep feta (but I got most of that since he's lactose intolerant). All the food comes with a "citrus cooler" which is water flavored with grapefruit juice and agave nector (if you are an organic foodie and know what that is). After lunch, we picked up a box of veggies. One of the residents at Brian's work orders a box of veggies as part of CSA (community supported agriculture) for $20 a week. She was out of town and offered it to us. You get whatever they have that's in season. It was enough to fill our cooler. There was romaine lettuce, mixed greens, raddishes, white carrots, daikon (japanese radish), beets, fennel, parsely, cilantro, dill, and lilikoi (passion fruit). We split it with another co worker of Brian's. It was a dream to have actual fresh produce...meaning non wilted lettuce. We made these great salads and I made a fresh dill dressing from my salad dressing maker recipes I got from Erin a couple years ago. Then yesterday, I made a great garden soup. The fresh herbs really tasted great. We want to sign up for it too, but they aren't taking any new orders right now. So we are on a waiting list.


This morning, I went out to the marina to try to capture the Black Pearl...It was quite obvious where it was...I was looking in the wrong spot earlier this week. I took some video. I will get some photos another day. I didn't bring my camera because I thought it would be too far away for a still picture. My video has this uber zoom that can practically see California.

I really enjoyed watching the curling last night. What a great game! Finished a GREAT book.. "The Double Bind". I started it some time ago, but then got sidetracked. I started it again this week. Now that book has an ending! Not like those Asian books I read....I highly recommend the book, especially if you've read The Great Gatsby, the book ties into it. The book is a mystery type with great character development...

No comments: