Monday, August 24, 2009

SUP...Stand up Paddling

This Sunday, Brian and I met Susan and Boogie (who invited us to the pig party in May) early in the morning to try out stand up paddling. I've wanted to try it out for a long time. You stand on a big surfboard...like 10-11 ft long....and paddle around. It's supposed to be great exercise, fun, and you see ocean critters. I saw a turtle swim right up to someone while he was paddling. Boogie and Susan have a nice big board and shared it with us so we could learn. Boogie taught me how to get up on it and most importantly...do not look straight down. If you look straight down (especially if you are just learning) you fall in. It was fun, mainly, because I didn't fall in. There was a nice breeze too. We paddled in Pokai Bay in Waianae. It is a perfect place for paddling, it is walled off so there's no waves. The bay is two blocks from my work. After Brian and I each had a turn paddling around they had a free class on the beach sponsored by a store that sells boards. We got some in depth training and then there were about 10 stand up boards for us to try. We were towards the end of the sign up list so we ended up with some smaller boards which are MUCH harder to ride. I could barely stay on the board. Brian's board was way too small and he hurt his knees. They were all swollen. His right knee was really bad. Going from your knees to your feet and standing with your knees slightly bent to balance while paddling is apparently hard on your knees. I was fine, but I don't have knee problems.

I really liked it, I want my own board, so I'm looking around for a used board and paddle. Also, Brian's looking for a two person kayak that we can use. He had a dream of fishing off the kayak (and I have a dream of reading while he's fishing).

I did find out that while paddling I need to put extra sunscreen under my chin. Due to my years of reading on the beach, I've never burned or under my chin until this weekend.

Then today I went to a ballet class at Ballet Hawaii in Honolulu. They converted a Dole cannery to shops and such. It was an adult class. I was nervous since its been quite a few years...3-4 maybe since I've taken a traditional ballet class. I didn't know if I'd be able to do it. But apart from my mind not always telling my body to move the right direction, it went quite well. I'll go again sometime. Its on mondays from 10-11:30am. Later tonight I'm going to go sit in the hot tub/spa around the corner.

Brian is terribly sick right now. It started last night and by morning, he was a wreck. He is quarentined to the white couch and I am on the tan one. I may have to burn the bedding when he recovers. He has a fever, sore throat, and body aches and now the congestion is starting. Flu and swine flu has been going around Waianae (and at our workplaces) like crazy, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with it at some point. We'll keep you posted....

No comments: