Thursday, October 2, 2008

Back to the Daily Grind

Well, I'm back to working full time. I was in the private practice in Kailua on Monday and ended up staying late talking with the owner...he has plans for expansion. I had a day of mainly cleanings and exams. Only in Hawaii can a dentist who has 4 extra years of training end up doing cleanings. But, I make a base salary, so it doesn't really matter what I do as long as I am building up a patient pool to treat in the future. I didn't get home until 7:30- boy was I tired! I had left at 6:30am. I am making it a rule for me to be out of the office by 5:30, so I can be home by 6:30.

Then Tues and today I was in Waianae at Gentle Dental. The office is not remotely posh like the Monday office, but the staff is so nice and the senior doctor is also a woman who has been practicing for 30 years. She's a nice role model. The atmosphere is really laid back. I drive past the ocean to work in Waianae and I hear that in the winter you can see whales in the ocean. I'm super excited for that. Today, I supported the local lunchwagon by ordering a plate lunch (the office orders from there most days). I had Kahula pork and cabbage. It was nice roasted shredded pork with cabbage, seasoned well, two scoops of rice and a small bit of green salad with dressing. Its $5 and I saved half for tomorrow. I think I will continue to order once a week from them since I get two lunches for $5 and I want to support local business there. Oh, as far as dentistry, things have gone well so far...fillings, exams, and 4 extractions.

Tomorrow is of course, another first day....my first day in Pearlridge (near where Aunt Juju used to live). I hear its busier there and there is some tension between the front desk and assistants (that tends to be dentistry as usual). I have a feeling I will like Waianae better. Wish me luck, pray that I avoid any root canals for a few weeks as they have some crazy system I have never seen before in my life and I'm not sure how to use it. Even Brian thought it sounded weird.

Oh, and lets all thank Brian for me for doing all the grocery shopping and errands today on his day off while I was at work. He deheaded and deveined 130 shrimp and cut up about 20 steaks today after shopping. Then divided it all up and froze it to last us a long time. He also last night after I went to sleep set up all my things in the kitchen for me so that when I woke up my keys, phone, tea mug and such were all ready for me. I even had a few minutes to have breakfast outside and watch them mow the green.

We are off on Friday, so we will see if we have enough energy to do something tomorrow night. Oh, Grampy, at our tennis clinic, the tennis pro adjusted my grip and I think I have my topspin back!

No comments: