Friday, April 16, 2010

Its all downhill from here...

Well, I realized its all downhill from here. I've peaked at 32. Three events happened that may never happen again.

First, yesterday, I tried in a bridge on a patient that spans 4 teeth and it fit perfect! No adjusting. This is unheard of. I've had it happen once before with a crown, but a bridge that covers 4 teeth?! This is a dentists dream.

Then, today we went on a hike to Kaena Point. It was nice 65-70 degrees and very breezy. Downright windy....Its a dirt road that has eroded to where you can't get down it all the way. The road/rail used to connect the north shore with the west side. Its a 5 mile hike to the point and back. It is a great trail to go on because there isn't really any change in elevation and easy walk along the road. Just a couple places where you have to hike up the hill where the road washed out. I think Uncle Gary would love to go there with us.


The area at the point is considered sacred to Hawaiians as it is the place where the soul jumps from when you die. In addition, the point also is a sort of nature reserve and is where Albatross and other birds and Hawaiian Monk Seals rest. There are only 1200 Hawaiian Monk seals left and only about 100 of them live around the inhabitted hawaiian islands. They are the only marine animal to only live in one place. And we saw three of them! Two were resting on the sand and one was off on the rocks. It was so cool!


Also, we saw a baby albatross. We were walking along the marked area and I looked down and saw this furry thing. It looked like a brown furry bear all curled up...until it stuck its head up and we saw it was a bird. I was sure a big mama bird was going to swoop down on us.

Now, the third miracle. After our hike, we went to the outlet mall (after a nap). We stopped at the Banana Republic outlet for Brian to pick out shirts. I was looking at jeans (in celebration of the low 70s these past two weeks), I grabbed a stack because as all us ladies know you have to try on about 10 pairs of jeans to find one that you like. I tried on those jeans and every single one fit me like a glove. It was crazy! They were all on sale for $40 or less. But I had to be practical since jeans season is short. I just bought one pair (until I sneak back without Brian and get one more pair- ha ha ha).

Just talked to Katelyn on Skype, she's doing great! Cold though, apparently in China they turn off the heat for everyone on April 1st. But she is having the adventure of a lifetime!


This was the latest pillow I made for my dental assistant, DeDe.

1 comment:

Derek N said...

Loving the pictures and reading your blog. That leppers (sp?) looks like a great place to get too. Hope they open the trail soon for you as that might an interesting place.